How industrial partners benefit from GMG?
Bringing Caltech engineers and earth scientists together with industry experts will enable technology and science breakthroughs.
Industrial partners will have the following benefits:
- Influencing the research as members of the Industrial Advisory Board
- In-depth access to state-of-the-art research at Caltech in geomechanics and geohazards of high relevance to the energy industry
- Possibility of targeted one-on-one collaborations
- Facilitating training and future recruitment of Caltech students
- Networking among Center members with similar/complementary goals
- 10% indirect cost, NSF contribution
Examples of recent advances:
- Advanced imaging/monitoring techniques in seismology (AI, Fiber optics, MEMS sensors)
- Ground deformation measurement (GPS; radar and optical remote sensing from satellite an UAV)
- Numerical modeling, laboratory and in situ experiments on coupling between fracture mechanics, damage an fluid flow
- Improved methods for earthquake forecasting