Currently Funded Research Projects
GMG-1.1 - Infrastructure system resiliency via InSAR ground deformation monitoring
- Identify ground deformation (landslides, settlement) in Los Angeles affecting the risk of water infrastructure.
- Develop automated process of deformation map retrieval using interferometric data and image correlation.
- Compare with ground-based measurements from state-of-practice site surveying of said features.
GMG-2.1 - Seismicity due to hydraulic stimulation for geothermal energy production.
- WP1: Develop a code to model thermo-poro-elastic stress variations and deformation due to fluid injection. (Y1)
- WP2:Use Observations from Brawley to test/calibrate the model and analyze the relation to seismicity (Y1)
GMG-3.1 - Relating ground subsidence, seismicity and reservoir operations at Groningen
- WP1: Enhanced seismicity seismicity catalog with AI methods for phase detection, association, & EQs location
- WP2:Use production data to estimate pore pressure, assimilating surface subsidence information. Test effect of heterogeneities of elastic properties.
GMG-4.1 - Understanding conditions for stable/unstable fault slip induced by fluid injections
- Use the existing codes to model a field experiment on fluid injection.
- Develop codes for coupling between evolving compaction/dilation of the fault gouge and fluid flow.
GMG-5.1 - Modeling and simulation of hydraulic fracturing processes, microseismicity, and environmental impact
- Further validate MMHF against imaging experiments..
- Apply MMHF to estimate fracking performance in the desired settings.
- Apply MMHF to estimate fracking fluid leak off to nearby groundwater formations.
GMG-6.1 - Experimental investigation of the interaction between fluids and failure of rock faults in shear
- Conduct controlled and highly instrumented laboratory experiments with fluid injection into a pre-existing fault to study evolution in friction/pore pressure and triggering of fast/slow slip under various conditions
- Measure slip, slip rate, and shear stress evolution along the fault during the injection process.
- Compare measurements with existing theories on the stability of fault slip.
GMG-7.1 & 8.1 - Microseismic Monitoring with Deep Learning
- Adapt the method for vertical only data. Apply to SAF and SBB arrays, and the geothermal data.
GMG-9.1 - Application of DAS in monitoring microseismicity and subsurface structure changes
- Use the DAS instrument contributed by OptaSense through GMG to collect data in the Pasadena area.
- Analyze the DAS data and develop new methods in microseismicity detection, and structure monitoring.
- Optimize the data collection and processing procedures to improve the monitoring accuracy and efficiency.